Tan Tan Restaurant
Julia Dream
2008-12-21 03:29:08 UTC
Was so hungry today after shopping late and eating junk the last two days.
Mailed my family's gifts off and asked theVietnamese girl behind the counter
what restaurant in the area she really liked (I was craving either Chinese
or Vietnamese, and since there are SO many around Bellaire/Beltway just
asked instead of trying to make a decision! lol). She said Tan Tan, so off
we went.

This was one of the best experiences I've had in any Chinese/Vietnamese
restaurant. The quality of the food was excellent, very fresh, and for the
prices you get a lot of it. So many choices on that HUGE menu! Gary
ordered the Gen. Tso's Chicken, I had the Yu Choy Beef. Both were
incredible. Not being able to eat such typically sweet dishes, I tried his
and was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't the sickeningly-sweet
dish typically found in Chinese-American restaurants (e.g. buffets). It was
just slightly sweet, and it was delicious. Having sold a lot of yu choy at
my store but never having tried it, I enjoyed my dish very much. Yu choy is
slightly bitter, and was wonderful in the brown sauce and beef. The spring
rolls were good, but still not the best I've had. Those were at Thu Thu's,
and they had mint in them. I wanted to try the fried squid balls, but they
didn't have any.

Sad point: no appetizer-sized soups. I'd wanted to have some hot/sour soup
but only large bowls are offered. Perhaps when I'm in the mood for a bowl
of soup for a meal. :-)

The service was amazing as well. Our waitress was friendly, helpful, quick
with refills, and *very* patient as we perused the menu for almost 20
minutes. We absolutely cannot wait to go back and try something new. I can
see this place becoming a serious habit!

Becky
Jon Price